Contractor fined after 12 year old falls at unsecured site
Fine after 12-year-old fell from ladder at unsecured site
Contractor Westdale Services Limited has been fined £160,000 after a 12-year-old boy slipped off a scaffold ladder on an inadequately guarded site.
On 6 May 2017, two boys were able to climb the rungs of a ladder within scaffolding erected by Westdale Services at Southville Flats in Cwmbran by placing their feet either side of a ladder guard that did not cover the rungs completely.
One boy climbed to the top platform of the scaffold and climbed the uppermost ladder to a height of approximately 10 metres.
The ladder slipped, causing him to lose his balance and fall to the ground. He sustained life-changing injuries requiring multiple operations.
The boy now has no bladder or bowel control and is only able to walk short distances due to being unstable on his feet.
The HSE’s investigation found the security arrangements for preventing access to the scaffolding, especially by children from a nearby school, were inadequate.
Westdale Services Limited of Askern, Doncaster pleaded guilty to safety breaches and was fined £160,000 with costs of £22,310.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector Michael Batt said: “The death or injury of a child is particularly tragic and a lot of thought must go into securing construction sites.
“Children do not perceive danger as adults do. The potential for unauthorised access to construction sites must be carefully risk assessed and effective controls put in place.
“This incident could have been prevented by removal of the ladder completely or installing an appropriately sized ladder guard to cover the full width of the rungs.”
We all know that workplace safety is important. Without it, workplace injuries happen, and employees can get seriously hurt. Negligence and ignorance are dangerous in any setting but especially in a work environment. For businesses, these dangers, an..
Businesses and organisations that employ five or more individuals have a legal requirement to look after them and put in place adequate employee safety practices. While health and safety is one thing, the implementation of a system requires ..
Your Guide To Food Health & Safety
Food safety is an umbrella term that encompasses all practices that food businesses must adhere to in order to make sure that food is fit to eat, including subcategories such as food hygiene. Making sure that your food premises have good food he..
Here at SMS Europe, we have a range of different Health & Safety Audits to suit all types of businesses. A Health & Safety Audit can assist you in understanding where your business is in terms of its Health and Safety management. You can..
Builder goes to jail for failing to report an incident where a worker was seriously injured
A builder has been imprisoned for 24 weeks after he failed to report a serious incident at a construction site he was in charge of. Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard that on 8 January 2019, worker Simon Lewis had been clearing a site on C..
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is inspecting fabricated metal businesses across Great Britain to check that they are managing the respiratory risks of welding fumes and metalworking fluids. From today, World Asthma Day 2021, health and safe..
How to Create a COVID Secure Workplace
With over 32 million people in the UK having received a COVID-19 vaccine, and the country’s loosening of its lockdown rules continuing, the UK is edging itself closer to normality. A key part of that transition has seen workers returning to the..
As the COVID-19 pandemic intensified in 2020, the UK Government unveiled its personal protective equipment (PPE) strategy. Included in the strategy was the Government’s decision to purchase a larger number of UK-manufactured FFP3 respirators to..
Nasmyth Technologies Limited has been fined after four employees were exposed to hazardous substances that caused significant ill health and time off work. On 9 October 2017, between 150 and 200 litres of a chemical preparation, that included hydr..
The Health and Safety Executive has ordered the restoration of a roofing contractor to the Companies House register ahead of a court hearing which saw the firm fined £160,000 following a fatal fall. Basildon Crown Court heard how on 25 Feb..
A publican has been handed a suspended prison sentence after a boy sustained head injuries when he fell from an inflatable slide (pictured above). Andrew Rockliffe ran the Bristol Inn in Clevedon, North Somerset, from February 2016 and in that yea..
FOOD WAREHOUSE IGNORED IMPROVEMENT NOTICES
A food supplier has been prosecuted by Birmingham City Council after an inspector saw an employee raised up on a pallet balanced on a forklift truck. On 5 December 2018 an officer visited Pearl Food Distribution and served a number of im..